Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Straight From The Red Zone

I just have a second on the computer--I'll have more time starting Thrusday and will post reports from Israel and answer some of the comments from Sam, Alex and others once I have my computer set up properly. Glad the blog is stirring things up a little.

I am visiting my counsin's kibbutz in the "red zone" between Haifa and Acco. Experienced an air raid siren during luch in the Chader Ochel (eating room) and just visited the site where a katushya landed in the kibbutz fields four days ago and picked up several of the lethal little pellets they pack the rockets with to kill as many civiilians as possible.

Its horrible, the hatred that caused people to fill the rockets with the tiny killing projectiles. What is interesting is that people here arent concerned with the whole argument, who is right, who is wrong, who is good, who is evil. Of course, they support the IDF operation, but no one is shouting, "We are good, they are evil" as is happening on rubyjewsday. All people are thinking about here is how to survive--how to get to the shelter as quickly as possible, whether to drive the car, if so, which road to take etc.

Anyway, I stand by my argument that killing children is killing children whether they are Jews or Arabs, and I find a little humorous the shouting by Sam, Alex and others, "We are good, they are evil." What is this--tretse class, third grade????

The level of the argument is rather silly, it seems to me. No one in this world is absolute good or absilute evil, unless we count Hitler and Stalin. Even if one posits Nasrallah as in the same group, the children of Qana do not belong there, whether they danced with joy for the rockets flying at Israel or not.

C'mon Sam, we are human beings and they are human beings having a bitter struggle, an existential one, but this is not about angels and demons. Do you know any Jewish angels or for that matter Jewish demons??? I dont.

As Shakespeare said, "The elements are monstrously mixed in man..." I only pray that this horror end right away for the sake of the children of Israel AND the children of Lebanon.

My best to you all,
Walter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home